Asset_70.svg
FOREWORD
The 2017 hurricane season was one of the most damaging and costly ever recorded. Consecutive hurricanes, Harvey, Irma and Maria, alone caused nearly $200 billion in damage. In the wake of these devastating storms, National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) policyholders filed more than 125,000 claims, and the NFIP has paid an estimated $9 billion. Regrettably, only 36 percent of financial damage was insured, leaving a staggering 64 percent of the flood victims to cover their damages out-of-pocket. 
With forecasters predicting the continuation of severe weather events on the scale of 2017, we continue to work with the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) to help educate and engage insurance agents and their clients about flood risk with the shared goal of fostering safer communities for all in which to live and work. The greater help understanding of flood maps and flood risk, the better we can work together to make sure that property owners are equipped to make informed decisions and take wise action steps to safeguard their homes, buildings, loved ones and valued possessions against potential flood damage

Sincerely
Louis Hobson
CEO National Flood Services
The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has warned that anyone can be financially vulnerable to floods. Yet, Americans remain vastly underinsured. NFS created this ebook to help insurance agents and their clients understand how to make sense of flood maps and how flood map changes impact the need and requirements for flood insurance.  
LeftRight
Asset_79.svglinked_in__2_.svgfacebook__2_.svgtwitter__2_.svg
Flood Fact
Floods are the most common and costly natural disaster in the nation. During 2017, the U.S. was impacted by 16 separate billion-dollar disaster events with a cumulative cost exceeding $300 billion, a new U.S. annual record. This included 3 tropical cyclones, 8 severe storms and 2 inland flooding events.

Because a homeowners policy typically does not cover flooding, obtaining flood insurance is the most powerful way for property owners to safeguard their family, home and business from flood loss.
Flood Fact Statistics attributed to the Federal Emergency Management Agency FEMA.org